H. B. 2825
(By Delegates Caputo, D. Poling, Boggs, Pethtel,
Walker, Crosier, Manchin, Stowers and Paxton)
[Introduced January 24, 2011; referred to the
Committee on Education then Finance.]
A BILL to amend the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended, by adding thereto a new section, designated §18B-10-7d, relating to tuition and fee waivers for members of the West Virginia State Police to attend a college or university.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of West Virginia:
That the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended, be amended by adding thereto a new section, designated §18B-10-7d, to read as follows:
ARTICLE 10. FEES AND OTHER MONEY COLLECTED AT STATE INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION.
§18B-10-7d. Tuition and fee waivers for members of the West Virginia State Police.
(a) Each state institution of higher education shall waive tuition for any member of the West Virginia State Police pursuant to article two, chapter fifteen of this code. Waiver is subject to the following:
(1) The member may attend any undergraduate or graduate course if classroom space is available;
(2) The member is currently employed by the State Police;
(3) The member is a resident of this state;
(4) The member has applied and been admitted to the institution;
(5) The member has applied for and submitted the Free Application for Federal Student Aid;
(6) The member has exhausted all other sources of student financial assistance dedicated solely to tuition and fees that exceed other grant assistance that are available to him or her, excluding student loans;
(7) Waiver renewal is contingent upon the member continuing to meet the academic progress standards established by the institution; and
(8) Any waiver pursuant to this section is in addition to the number of fee waivers permitted in sections five and six of this article for undergraduate, graduate and professional schools.
(b) The state institution may require the member to pay:
(1) All course related fees and special fees if the fees are required of all other students taking a single course or that particular course; and
(2) Parking fees.
NOTE: The purpose of this bill is to grant tuition and fee waivers to members of the State Police to attend a college or university.
§18B-10-7d has been completely rewritten; therefore, it has been completely underscored.